A past client of ours recently came to us asking, ‘How do I increase my outdoor living area?’ During our site visit we worked out that a deck/living area to the rear of the house (a standard kiwi home) would not work and a front porch would be the only option for any outdoor living area.
Adding a front porch can add value to your home and solve the problem of creating more space. Many houses these days do not have large backyards or no backyards at all so adding a front porch, may be the only option to create more outdoor living space. Also, the afternoon sun or the best views maybe from the front of your house. It may then make more sense to create a front porch.
Other benefits for you to build a front porch:
- To Interact With Your NeighboursA Front porch gives you the opportunity to sit outside and enjoy your neighbourhood. We all get so busy sometimes it gives you the opportunity to interact with your neighbours.
- Gives Personality To Your HomeAn appealing front porch can create a warm and welcoming area and give your house an appealing and inviting first impression, when people visit your home.
- An Area To RelaxA porch creates an area where you can go and relax and get away from it all. The kids might be occupying other areas of the house, a front porch can provide an area for some ‘you’ time.
- Add Value To Your HomeIt can improve or even transform the whole appearance of your home and add value to your home and your home will have more appeal to the buyers when selling your property compared to other homes in the area.
- A Place To EntertainYou could create a large front porch to entertain your guests. Add a BBQ and outdoor furniture if the porch is large enough.
- Porches Can Be EnclosedPorches also can be enclosed or screened-in to provide protection from insects or the weather, meaning it can be used all year round for various options.
- Adds Extra SpaceA porch creates more space and storage within the home. Instead of having shoes and coats piled on racks at the front door, everything can be safely put away in a designated area in the porch.
- Keeps You DryIf you get caught in a downpour, you can run to your front porch for shelter whilst fumbling around trying to find your keys, rather than getting soaked on your front door step.
- An Area For Kids To PlayIf you have kids, this is a great place to let them play on a rainy day or when the weather isn’t great and they are still getting some fresh air. Some of the kids crafts can be a bit messy so this is a great place to do these, so they do not make a mess inside the house.
So, as you can see a front porch can be very versatile and may just be what you need to create more space for your family. If you would like some advice on how to create your own outdoor living space, please contact us and we can assist you through the full building process.
You may also consider reading other recent articles by Pharaoh Construction: